One of the things I have missed since going gluten free is Red Lobster’s Cheddar Bay Biscuits. About a year ago I found a recipe (before I was gluten free) that explained how to make them. So I thought I would give it a try. The original recipe only called for 2/3 cups of milk and as you know with gluten free stuff- that wasn’t enough to even moisten the dough. So I tried something. I combined the biscuit recipe from the GF box of Bisquick with this recipe. And it worked! My dad (who is not GF and used to work at Red Lobster) said it reminded him of their biscuits and I told him that was my goal.
Here is what you will need:
- 2 cups GF Bisquick mix
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 400
- Mix together Bisquick, garlic powder in a bowl; cut in shortening. Mix in cheese, milk and eggs and mix until well blended.
- On a well greased cookie sheet (can line it parchment paper) drop dough by spoonfuls.
- Bake for 10 minutes. While that is baking mix 2 tbsp of melted butter, 2tsp of parsley and 1 tsp of garlic salt
- After 10 minutes brush each biscuit generously with the butter mixture and bake for an additional 6 minutes
notes: for the butter I ended up melting 4 tbsp of butter and only using 1 tsp of parsley. Next time I may use half the amount of garlic salt- so feel free to adjust according to your taste buds.