I am loving this cooking fresh mood I am in! My husband and kids are loving it too. This was actually inspired by a recipe from Hello Fresh and I saw it a simple 2 ingredient type version on Kraft foods. It is that simple!
Now normally with my italian dishes I love a lot of sauce to cover my noodles and so I can dip garlic bread in it. This one is actually opposite of that but still has plenty of flavor. So here is my recipe:
What you need:
- 1/2 an onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- .5 oz of Basil leaves (fresh basil)
- 1lb of ground beef
- 1/2 a can of tomato sauce (7.5 oz)
- 1/2 cup water
- 19 oz frozen tortellini
- 1/2 cup Italian style panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- (optional) 2 tbsp sour cream
- Olive oil
So first you prep everything- Preheat broiler to High, get a large pot of water going to a boil, peel and dice onion, mince the garlic, and finely chop the basil leaves.
In a large oven safe pan (cast iron is your best friend for this!)- heat up some olive oil over medium high heat. Cook your onions and garlic untl softened. Add your beef and season with salt and pepper. Once browned add tomato sauce, basil and water. Stir in reduce to a low simmer until thickened, season with salt and pepper (optional step that depends on your taste buds)
Cook the tortellini until tender (about 4 minutes) and in a small bowl mix panko crumbs, parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil
Remove the tortellini with a slotted spoon (they don’t stick together this way) and add to the meat/sauce mixture along with the sour cream. Sprinkle the top with the breading mixture and broil for no more than 2 minutes (until top is browned)
Serve with a salad and enjoy!
A couple of things to note- I did not use the sour cream (forgot about it lol) and we loved how it tasted so that could be optional. I also saw a few optional recipes that added fresh spinish to it when they added the tortellini. If you do let it simmer until the leaves “wilt” then add your bread mixture to the top. This dish is definitely full of flavor and one we will make again!
I hope you enjoy!
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- .5 oz basil leaves (finely chopped)
- 1lb ground beef
- 1/2 a can of tomato sauce (7.5oz)
- 1/2 cup water
- 19oz frozen tortellini
- 1/2 cup italian style panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp Sour Cream (optional)
- 1/2 cup spinish (optional)
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper (to season)
- Preheat broiler to High and bring a large pot of water to a boil while prepping onions, garlic and basil.
- In an oven safe pan (cast iron recommended)- heat a few tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat, cook the garlic and onions until soft.
- Add the beef and cook until browned. Then add the tomato sauce, the water and basil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and season with salt and pepper
- Cook the Tortellini until tender (about 4 minutes)- meanwhile in a small bowl mix panko, parmesan and drizzle of olive oil.
- Once Tortellini is cooked remove with a slotted spoon and add to the beef mixture (add sour cream and spinish at this time and simmer until leaves are wilted). Top evenly with bread mixture.
- Broil for no more than 2 minutes (watch carefully) until browned. Serve and Enjoy!